Laufskalarett horse roundup tour 2018
Join us for the biggest horse roundups in Skagafjörður. We ride with the locals and bring home their horses to the roundup in Laufskálarétt, Hjaltadalur. Every year 2,500-3,000 people come to spend the weekend in Skagafjörður and to be a part of the great Laufskálarétt event.
Next time it will be the horse roundup 2018. The participants have to be intermediate riders or experienced riders.
We plan this tour on a personal level with the group that wants to come, but this is the basic plan:
- On day one, Wednesday 26. September, you come for a 2 hour ride, you get a basic introduction to the riding here, we fit the saddles and pick out horses that are a good fit for each rider, and then we go on the Beach tour.
- On day two, Thursday 27. September, you come for a 4 hour ride, and then we go on a tour which is a mix of the Viking tour and the Wilderness ride (the whole experience can be 5 hours), if the weather is mild we can also go the River ride trail. This will be a long tour with nature and beauty and a bit of speed and also a good break with included refreshments and serenity.
- On day three, Friday 28. September, you go for a sightseeing tour on your own (but we help with planning of course, going whale watching, and to Myvatn and Akureyri is f.ex. popular, or to the natural bath of Grettislaug, or the the Hofsos swimming pool) while we prepare the big day. There is a big, very popular, horse event happening at Saudarkrokur this evening, which we include as one of the highlights of your visit here (we provide the tickets).
- On day four, 29. September, we start the day in the morning with others going to join the roundups ride, at Sleitustadir. We go then in a group of a few hundred riders, by an excellent gravel path, and gradually we see the highlands better, we will see how the huge groups of horses flow over the meadows to join together in a bigger and bigger river of horses, with a bigger and bigger river of riders flowing with them, we join the men rounding up the horses, and we become a part of the flow. It is impossible to describe the feeling of joining such a stream of horses and people in a happy feeling of the moment, one can only live it, and seeing everything happening in the corral, the whole event involving several hundred horses and several hundred people 🙂 Then we unsaddle the horses in a pasture next-door to the Laufskalarett corral, and have included refreshments to eat and drink. We go then to the corral and watch as the farmers find their horses and part them so each farmer gets his own horses together in a herd. It is then optional to either get a lift and fetch your car, or to ride back with us to where the whole thing started (where we then end up by having another go at the refreshments). The whole experience for day 4 lasts a full day.
There are also more events connected to the Laufskalarett weekend, like a huge dance party (1-2000 participants) in Saudarkrokur on Saturday evening, open houses at horse farms in Skagafjordur, a horse competition in Saudarkrokur, and more.
Duration and price:
- Program for 3 days + ticket to the horse show/event + picnic on day 2 and day 4.
- Accommodation, with a hearty breakfast that lasts you long into the day, for 4 nights, at the Gimbur guesthouse.
- Riding equipment, saddle, bridles, helmet.
- Flights to and from Iceland
- Car transport
- Alcohol beverages
- Riding clothes: pants, boots, jacket, gloves and etc. We have a few sets of rain clothes but not many. Remember that you can not bring used leather things that have been around horses (like leather boots) into the country because of disease risk. Only horse things that have gone through a full washing cycle in the washing machine can enter the country. But people also come on the rides simply in hiking boots, sneakers, or decide to buy a new set of riding boots.
Price 150 000 ISK (ca. 1250 EUR/ca. 1450 $) per person.
On day 1 and 2, at the Langhus farm, where the roads 76 and 787 cross. Gps dots are N66°03.653 and W019°07.280 or 66,060942 and 19,121477
On the round ups day at Sleitustadir, you’ll get directions from us how to get there.