ICELANDIC COUNTRY LIFE
The exact trail that we pick in this Icelandic horse tour is a bit different depending on in what month we are riding, as circumstances in nature varies a bit in different parts of the trail depending on season.
In this tour we combine the experience of:
- Riding on easy paths where it is good to try out the famous gait tolt (the special gait of the Icelandic horse)
- Riding off road, and experience how sure footed and sturdy the Icelandic horse is, on the hillsides of the green and striking Barð mountain, and going high up on either the Barð hillsides or up on the Akraás hilltop, both places offering spectacular views.
- Spectacular view over the country side here and the grand lake Miklavatn (and the ocean in the distance), or over the striking Flokadalsvatn lake.
- Visualizing how the locals round up the sheep from the huge highlands on these tough, calm and brave horses
- How the farmers and other locals live with the beautiful nature here.
- Getting the inside information, and the questions answered, about the Icelandic country life in Northern Iceland
- Seeing a little bit of ancient ruins peeking out of the ground here and there, and learning about the history and living conditions here in the old days.
- Getting (usually local) refreshments in the break.
Intermediate riding skills are needed. Speed and length of ride can be adjusted a bit to the riders, but one needs a bit of balance so it is not a good tour for absolute beginners.
Duration and price:
3 hours ride, including refreshments (where the whole experience can be 4 hours), price 17 000 ISK.
4 hours ride, including refreshments (where the whole experience can be 5 hours), price 22 000 ISK.
The Icelandic country life tour can be done in May-October (both included).
The Langhus farm, where the roads 76 and 787 cross. Gps dots are N66°03.653 and W019°07.280 or 66,060942 and 19,121477